Antenna theory is fundamental, the concepts are visionary and the applications are real.
This is essentially what antenna engineering is all about. This workshop covers all aspects
of satellite communication antennas including introduction to satellite communications, role
of antennas in satellite payloads, antenna fundamentals, design aspects for various satellite
services, analysis, advanced antenna hardware developed for various satellites, test methods and
space qualification. The course will be given by 7 eminent speakers, all with satellite industry
background, from USA, Europe and India having combined experience of more than 120 years!
21st century has seen several new satellite services such as local-channel broadcast
for direct broadcast satellite service (DBS), fixed satellite services (FSS), high
capacity K/Ka-band personal communication satellite (PCS) service, hosted payloads,
mobile satellite services (MSS) employing a wide variety of antennas. These include
horn antennas, TT&C antennas, phased arrays, reflector antennas, large deployable mesh
reflectors, imaging reflector antennas, high power hybrid satellites etc. Antenna sub-system
design, mechanical packaging on the spacecraft, and RF performance become very critical for
these satellites. System requirements that drive the antenna designs will be presented initially
with brief introduction to satellite communications. Antenna designs using phased arrays and
reflectors will be addressed. Relevant antenna software for design and performance evaluation
of these antennas using TICRA’s POS and GRASP commercial software packages will be discussed.
Practical designs for contoured beams, multiple beams, and reconfigurable beams will
be highlighted during the workshop. Multiple beam antenna (MBA) concepts and their
advantages compared to conventional contoured beams will be introduced. Recent advances
in feed technology and reflector technology will be addressed with few examples.
Topics such as antenna designs for high capacity satellites, large deployable mesh
reflector designs, low PIM designs, and power handling issues will be included. Antenna
test ranges and test methods will be presented in detail including far-field ranges,
near-field ranges, anechoic chambers, compact ranges etc. Recent advances in test ranges
with emphasis on complete payload testing and shorter test schedules will be discussed.
Qualification of antennas for space environment and associated tests such as high power,
passive-intermodulation, thermal, vibration, ESD etc will be explained including typical
test plan. Future trends in the satellite and ground antennas will be discussed.
At the end of this talk, attendees will be exposed to typical requirements, designs,
hardware, software, and test methods for various type of antennas.
1. Dr. Sudhakar Rao, IEEE Life Fellow, Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems, USA
- Introduction to Satellite Communications, Satellite Services, Antenna Fundamentals & Design
2. Dr. Tony Rubeak, TICRA A/S, Copenhagen
- Efficient Design and Accurate Analysis of Satellite Antennas using TICRA software
3. Dr. Clency Lee-Yow, President & CEO, Custom Microwave Inc., USA
- Antenna Hardware: Feed components, Feed assemblies and Antennas – Design, manufacture
4. Mr. Sagi Sravan Kumar, Senior Design Engineer, SAC, ISRO, Ahmedabad
- Antennas for communications and navigation satellites
5. Dr. Chandrakanta Kumar, Scientist G, ISRO, Bangalore, India
- Telemetry, Telecommand & Imaging Antennas
6. Dr. Lars Foged: Scientific Director, MVG Inc., Italy
- Satellite antenna testing in near-field ranges
7. Mr. Puneet Mishra, Head, Satellite Antenna Characterization, Test & Design
Section, ISRO, Bangalore
- Development & qualification of compact antenna test range facilities for satellite
There will be a 30 mts interaction, Q & A with participants when all the instructors
are available to discuss any problems or issues that participants might be experiencing
Who Should Attend the Workshop?
Students, practicing engineers, academicians, researchers, vendors and industry executives.
Dr. Sudhakar Rao, IEEE Life Fellow, FIETE
Technical Fellow, Research Technology & Engineering Division
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems
1 Space Park Drive, Mail Stop: ST70AA/R9-1438E
Redondo Beach, CA 90278, USA
E-mail: email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 1-310-813-5405 (Work) & 1- 215-500-9655 (Mobile)